Welcome Message

Turning Pages: "Still Life" by Louise Penny

0


It has been a lovely, quiet day, just perfect for curling up with my current knitting project. The back of this sweater is plain knitting, the front is an all-over cable design and I'm about 75% finished this section.

There was just one problem with the notion of sitting peacefully and carrying on knitting, purling, and fiddling with the cable needle.

A distraction. 

In the form of a novel.

As of a couple of days ago, after weeks of being on the library waiting list, the volume I had been waiting for became mine.




If you enjoy a good mystery and have yet to read Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series, this is the first book. The protagonist is intelligent, observant, patient, compassionate, imperfect, and insightful: "Crime was deeply human, Gamache knew. The cause and the effect. And the only way he knew to catch a criminal was to connect with the human beings involved." (pg. 87)

I had already read A Beautiful Mystery, Penny's second-last book, and was completely captivated by her writing style, plot development, and the well drawn characters. Clearly, I had to go back to the first novel and start making my way through all of them.
 

I didn't knit a stitch today. I was in Québec, in the village of Three Pines.
Immersed. 
Absorbed.
Staying there until I knew, along with the villagers, who had committed murder.


I can always knit tomorrow. In a few days, I'll head to the library for Dead Cold
This sweater could take awhile.


Share this :

  • Stumble upon
  • twitter